Scholarship Opportunities (Deadline: March 2022)
The application period for General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) scholarships ends March 24, for fall term awards only. The application period for Western North Carolina Conference United Methodist Women (WNCC-UMW) scholarships is Feb. 11 – March 31, 2022.
The GBHEM Office of Loans and Scholarships is partnering with International Scholarship and Tuition Services Inc. (ISTS) to provide an online application and database for its programs. The WNCC-UMW applications can be submitted electronically or via USPS, and interviews conducted by Zoom.
- Each applicant may apply once per year for a scholarship from GBHEM. Renewals must reapply each year.
- Review the list of scholarships and select one scholarship program for which to apply. If you are unsure which scholarship to choose, select the “General Scholarship” program. GBHEM will determine the best program with available funds for you.
- If you are a first-time users, create a username and password using a valid email address that you frequently check. This will be the way we communicate with you throughout the scholarship process. For returning users, enter the username and password that were created previously.
- The scholarship code on the application for scholarships is ‘GBHEM Scholarship.’
- Have the address of your current United Methodist church and the school where you will be enrolled.
- Have email addresses for your references. You will need your pastor to confirm church membership and a church reference who knows you well. (Some applicants will also need a district committee on ministry (DCOM) member, an academic advisor or clinical pastoral education (CPE) supervisor.) Referring persons must submit their recommendations via a specific link and code generated from your application. Note: The pastor and church reference must be different.
- Obtain an unofficial copy of your transcript. You will be asked to upload a scanned version of your transcript with grades through December.
- Some students will need a current copy of their résumé.
Each year, Bennett College sponsors a Zoom scholarship session for their students, local UMC graduating high school seniors and/or current higher education students, and local international students, to inform them about available Global Board of Higher Education Ministry and United Methodist Women scholarships. Scholarships are awarded for matriculation from the undergraduate to doctorate degree levels. Albertina McGirt is the facilitator and the date will be announced once confirmed. To apply online, visit https://www.gbhem.org/loans-scholarships/scholarships/apply.
To request an application, contact Cathy McCauley. See the Sunday Bulletin (Jan. 9, 2022) for details.