St. Matthews United Methodist Church was organized in 1866 and has the distinction of being the oldest and largest African-American Church in the Western North Carolina Conference.
Although there have been several structural and location changes since its inception, the current edifice was first occupied in January 24, 1971.
Members have always been dedicated to the educational, civic and social life of the community. In 1873 Bennett College was organized in the basement of St. Matthews. We organized the first Boy Scout troop (#441) for African-Americans in Greensboro.
Our members have held prominent leadership positions throughout the United States and have their names displayed on many buildings around the city.